Sunday, December 28, 2008

Merry Holidays! I am (as always) struggling with the idea that the holiday season is coming to a close, but I am determined to not let it get me down! (not likely) I am one of those people who truly enjoys decorating the house and then admiring how it looks afterward, being in the moment of the Christmas spirit (not religiously, but just the overall excitement and anticipation) and not wanting to take it all down just because that "time of year" is over. (My trick: decorate for "winter" more than Christmas, so all I really have to take down is the trees)

Things on my mind today:
When I'm going to take the trees down: This year it might be sooner than most years since the
new additions like to mess with them. (Truitt & Sterling our 7 month old cats). Next weekend after New Year or the weekend after that???

I am wondering what I am going to promise to do in the New Year: So far, my list consists of the following: Daily Blogging so that I can attempt to write my novel. Lose the 30 pounds I have wanted to, by May 1st. Being happy in the moment. Working on my career. Staying in touch with all of the people I love in my life.

I am sure I will be adding more.

Yesterday, we did something I wasn't too excited about at first, but I think the same was true for everyone else involved and then we all realized how nice it was. We received a last minute phone call from a neighbor who knows our kids more than us by seeing them wait for the bus every morning. Grannie Frannie is out walking her dogs at that time and stops to chat with the kids. They told us that she said to call her Grannie Frannie and the occasional times we have seen her she raves about how wonderful they are. (very accurate!) I think she knew that since we really did not know them we were hesitant so she and her very sweet husband Jerry, invited us to a neighborhood introduction/holiday party. Needless to say by the end of evening, we discovered our neighborhood does have nice people living all very different lives. In the two and a half years we have lived here, we have met only 2 families. (Neither of which were at this party) and the homes on our street are tucked back away from the street so you really don't see people when you walk or drive by. Its the country, not the suburbs. I can't remember all of their names, but Granny Frannie and Jerry, hosted the party and although their current home is smaller, but very sweet, they at one time lived in a 4600 square foot house raising 7 children. There was an expectant mother for the first time, due in April, named "Little" who is a pastry chef with her husband. They brought her sister who they care for that is older than they, blind and possibly having other disabilities but who was very sweet. There was a social worker Mom and husband whose living at home son, is in need of a job. He was so nice and polite. A nice couple whose daughter was visiting home from college in NC and who had spent some time studying in Australia. (I learned that kangaroos are like deer are here - you can hit them while driving because there are so many of them, and they are dead on the side of the road all the time!) A woman that we have seen walking on our street all the time in good weather and bad whom we discovered that she walks, runs and works out all of the time. She didn't have her husband with her, but she looks much younger than I am sure she is, who works downtown (a good 50 minutes away) and drives partly there and then takes the train. (Not the safest plan) and is working on her next karate belt. I still am not really sure exactly which houses they all live in, but when all you ever see is the outside of a home, it is fun to get a peek into the lives of who lives in them! I will drive more carefully and wave more often now on my street.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Mom of 3, working full time ++, and focused on staying my own person! Still listening to rock music, and not living vicarously through my kids. I Love Vintage, and I aspire to write a novel one day.
kdrburkley : online now